Here’s how to draw a caterpillar with a guaranteed squishy look. Start with the spine, add lines for sections, and have fun connecting them.
I saw it in a book years ago, and wish I could credit the genius who thought it up. It’s a great way to make a pretty realistic looking insect. Just be sure to draw lightly so that the spine line can easily be erased. Everyone will wonder how you made those cool shapes!
- Draw a Caterpillar PDF Tutorial
- Watercolor paper* (the good stuff if you want bright colors)
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
If you like this tutorial, there are more like this in my “Draw Animals” ebook in my PDF Shop.
- Make the guide lines on the paper with pencil. Follow the tutorial to make the drawing with a pencil.
- Trace the drawing with a dark crayon.
- Use crayons to add some shapes inside.
- Paint the caterpillar with watercolor. I believe the liquid type is easiest for those just learning how to paint.
- If possible, paint the sky when the caterpillar is dry. If not, take care not to create puddles that might make the colors run together.