Here’s how to draw a caterpillar with a guaranteed squishy look. Start with the spine, add lines for sections, and have fun connecting them.
I saw it in a book years ago, and wish I could credit the genius who thought it up. It’s a great way to make a pretty realistic looking insect. Just be sure to draw lightly so that the spine line can easily be erased. Everyone will wonder how you made those cool shapes!
LIKE THIS DRAWING PROJECT?
There are 200 more fun and easy drawing tutorials like this one, in my giant How To Draw ebook in my PDF Shop.
All were created with lots of hands on classroom testing, and designed to take beginner artists from the first step to the last with clear and simple diagrams.
It’s all you need to provide hours of drawing fun with tutorials for Animals, Fish, Insects, Birds, Landscapes, Plants, Transportation, People and much more.
- Draw a Caterpillar PDF Tutorial
- Watercolor paper* (the good stuff if you want bright colors)
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
- Make the guide lines on the paper with pencil. Follow the tutorial to make the drawing with a pencil.
- Trace the drawing with a dark crayon.
- Use crayons to add some shapes inside.
- Paint the caterpillar with watercolor. I believe the liquid type is easiest for those just learning how to paint.
- If possible, paint the sky when the caterpillar is dry. If not, take care not to create puddles that might make the colors run together.