Here’s how to draw a caterpillar with a guaranteed squishy look. Start with the spine, add lines for sections, and have fun connecting them.
I saw it in a book years ago, and wish I could credit the genius who thought it up. It’s a great way to make a pretty realistic looking insect. Just be sure to draw lightly so that the spine line can easily be erased. Everyone will wonder how you made those cool shapes!
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Caterpillar
- Draw the center spine (lightly).
- Draw about 8 crossing lines as shown.
- Connect the top side with curved lines.
- Connect the bottom side with curved lines.
- Add a head on the end.
- Draw eyes and mouth.
- Add antennae and lots of feet.
- Finish with spots in the middle.
- Trace with crayon, fill and paint with watercolor.