Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw Cartoon Bugs and a Cartoon Bugs Coloring Page. Repeat them in different sizes for a fun summer drawing.
Bugs don’t always have to be “creepy crawlies”. When you learn how to draw cartoon bugs, you can make them as cute as can be! This cartoon drawing tutorial shows another way that we can view our multi-legged friends.
Here are two little lessons that can be gained from this tutorial.
One, is that it’s very easy to make your drawing have a little perspective, simply by altering the sizes of similar things. After you have drawn one bug, try making some bigger and some smaller, possibly at different angles too.
Two, your grass line doesn’t always have to be a straight line. Some yards are hilly, and go up and down, so why not try that simple change once in awhile? Sometimes it’s the little details that make a drawing extra charming.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Cartoon Bugs Coloring Page
Another Fun Media to Try!
Materials to Draw Cartoon Bugs
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a nice dark black color.
- Crayons. I like this non-toxic brand that is made from beeswax, not petroleum by-products.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 1 hour and 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Cartoon Bug
- Draw two eyes.
- Add an antennae and body below.
- Draw a pair of wings.
- Draw a smaller bug above.
- Add an even smaller bug.
- Add a wavy grass line.
- Draw flowers in the grass.
- Add clouds and a sun.
- Trace with a marker and color.