Learn how to draw cartoon bugs with an easy step by step tutorial, and then repeat them in different sizes for a fun summer drawing.
Bugs don’t always have to be “creepy crawlies”. When you draw them, you can make them as cute as can be! Bugs are a necessary part of our planet and deserve to be displayed as such. This cartoon drawing tutorial shows another way that we can view our multi-legged friends.
Here are two little tips for today’s cartoon bug drawing.
One, is that it’s very easy to make your drawing have a little perspective, simply by altering the sizes of similar things. After you have drawn one bug, try making some bigger and some smaller, possibly at different angles too.
Two, your grass line doesn’t always have to be a straight line. Some yards are hilly, and go up and down, so why not try that simple change once in awhile? Sometimes it’s the little details that make a drawing extra charming.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Cartoon Bugs Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw Cartoon Bugs
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw Cartoon Bugs
Time needed: 1 hour and 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Cartoon Bug
- Draw two eyes.
- Add an antennae and body below.
- Draw a pair of wings.
- Draw a smaller bug above.
- Add an even smaller bug.
- Add a wavy grass line.
- Draw flowers in the grass.
- Add clouds and a sun.
- Trace with a marker and color.