I love how this elephant drawing for kids tutorial helps students fill their paper, and just focus drawing part of an elephant.
This is probably one of my all time most popular projects I have ever shared. I think it’s because drawing half the body is so much more manageable for most students. It’s also a natural for crayon resist work as the elephant wrinkles really stand out, and any decorations have an automatic see through look to them.
If you like this tutorial, I have 75 more like them in my “Draw Animals” ebook in my PDF Shop.
- Download Elephant PDF tutorial
- Watercolor paper* (the good stuff if you want bright colors)
- Liquid watercolor paint
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
- Make the guide lines on the paper with pencil. Follow the tutorial to make the drawing with a pencil.
- Trace the drawing with a black marker.
- Use a white crayon to draw wrinkles on the elephant.
- Draw colorful decorations with other crayons.
- Paint the elephant with watered down black paint. I believe the liquid type is easiest for those just learning how to paint.
- If possible, paint the background when the elephant is dry. If not, take care not to create puddles that might make the colors run together.