Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial video for how to draw a Flag and a Flag Coloring Page. There’s even help for drawing five different kinds of flags.
Flag Tutorial Video
Learning how to draw a flag can be useful for various reasons. Flags are an important symbol of a country or organization and are often used in official ceremonies, parades, and sporting events. Additionally, they can be a fun and interesting way to learn about different countries and cultures.
This flag tutorial will show students how to draw a simple flag that looks like it is blowing a bit in the wind. After that shape is made, they can finish it in many different ways, include with horizontal lines, vertical lines, and rectangles. There are many countries that use just a simple version of this for their own national flag. For good measure, an example of a Canadian flag and United Kingdom flag are included in the tutorial as well. That’s a whole lot of flag drawing advice packed into one download!
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Use the button below to download this free PDF tutorial
Flag Coloring Page
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 45 minutes
Draw a Flag Step by Step
- Lightly draw a large rectangle at an angle.
- Add a pole to the side.
- Draw two rings around the pole.
- Draw wavy lines inside the rectangle, and then erase the straight outside lines.
- Option One: Draw two wavy lines to make a flag like this.
- Option Two: Draw two straight lines for a flag like this.
- Option Three: Draw rectangles for a flag like this.
- Option Four: Draw lines and a maple leaf for this Canadian flag.
- Option Five: Draw this set of lines for a United Kingdom Flag.