Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Mermaid and a Mermaid Coloring Page. This one keeps the shapes pretty simple, so even young mermaid fans can get in on the fun.
Now children that are fascinated by these mythical creatures can learn how to draw a mermaid in just nine easy steps. This version has a simple body with a curved tail, which makes for a graceful pose as she swims among her sea life friends. Floating hair also adds to the underwater feel, which makes this such a fun drawing project to try out.
Mermaid Drawing by a young girl
Subscribe to “The Daily Draw” below to get this free download
Mermaid Coloring Page
Mermaid Tracing Page
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Time needed: 1 hour
How to Draw a Mermaid Step by Step
- Draw the head and add a face.
- Draw the neck and start the arms.
- Finish the arms and hands.
- Draw the top and belly.
- Add a swirly tail below.
- Draw lots of floating hair.
- Add a hair flower and details to the tail.
- Fill the background with fish and plants.
- Trace with a marker and color.