Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Remembrance Ribbon and a Remembrance Ribbon Coloring Page. Change color, add words or even include decorations like stars and stripes to make it your own.
Remembrance ribbons can come in many different colors, with many decorations on them, but they all have the basic look of one simple loop of a ribbon. This How to Draw a Remembrance Ribbon tutorial will show students how to draw one using just a few curved and overlapping lines.
After the ribbon shape is drawn, it’s easy to give it more form with the help of a little shading in the curves and overlap. This sample was colored with oil pastels, so adding a little black on top of the red worked well. If you only have crayons or pencil crayons though, you can still get the same effect by just using more pressure to get a darker pigment in those areas.
Remembrance ribbons are short pieces of colored ribbon folded into a loop, which are used in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom and other parts of the world as a way for wearers to make a statement of support for a cause or issue.
Teachers might want to take note that Lines, Shapes and Form are all Elements of Art, which makes this an educational drawing project too.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Remembrance Ribbon Coloring Page
Materials for a Remembrance Ribbon Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw a Remembrance Ribbon
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Remembrance Ribbon Step by Step
- Draw an upside down J shape.
- Add matching shape on other side.
- Draw the top curve of the ribbon.
- Draw a ribbon line on the left side.
- Draw a ribbon line on the right side.
- Erase the gray lines as shown.
- Draw an angled end on the left side.
- Add an angled end on the right side.
- Color, add shadows, and trace. This sample was finished with oil pastels.