Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw Baby Yoda Tutorial Video and a Baby Yoda Coloring Page. An easy tutorial will show you how to draw all his cute features.
Baby Yoda Video Tutorial
Draw Baby Yoda
Who is Baby Yoda?
This little guy has been dubbed Baby Yoda, and is the apparent star of the new Disney Mandalorian series. He’s suddenly everywhere, so an easy drawing tutorial to help elementary age students learn how to draw him seemed like a good idea. And if pop culture is what it takes to help connect more students to drawing, then so be it.
Note: Because Yoda’s cuteness is all about his eyes, I shared a tip in my tutorial. If you lightly plan the eyes by starting with dots for the corners, before you connect them, then you have a much better chance of drawing them the same size. It’s frustrating if you draw two beautiful eyes, and afterwards realize that one is a bit larger than the other.
Working with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing project is to show them how to use guides as a reference point. You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have center guides that are showing as both a vertical line and a horizontal line. If students make lines like those on their own paper, before drawing, they will have some extra help in seeing where to begin their drawing.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate. So does that mean students need to use their pencil to draw big fat lines down the center of their paper before they start? No, simply fold the paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Join my Email List to get an instant download!
Baby Yoda Slide ShowBaby-Yoda-Slide-Show
Baby Yoda Coloring Page
NEW! Baby Yoda Tracing Page
Time Lapse Drawing of Baby Yoda
How to Draw Baby Yoda Materials
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips. Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Stabilo Markers. The large pack provides lots of fun color choices, several shades of each color, including a few choices for skin. The tips are perfect for coloring, and there’s even a promise that they will work after being uncapped for 8 weeks!
Draw Baby Yoda Slide ShowBaby-Yoda-Slide-Show
How to Draw Baby Yoda Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw Baby Yoda Step by Step
- Draw a curved head shape.
- Add two symmetrical ears.
- Draw the ear lines. Plan the eye placement with four dots.
- Connect the dots and draw the eyes as shown.
- Add circles for the highlights. Draw the brow lines above the eyes.
- Finish the face with a mouth, nose and more brow lines.
- Draw a large collar and a robe below the head.
- Add two arms on the side and a horizon line in the background.
- Trace the drawing with a black pen and color with markers.