Here’s an easy step-by-step how to draw a Minecraft Self Portrait tutorial and Minecraft coloring page. A grid template makes it easy to do.
Minecraft Gallery by Students
Why draw a Minecraft Self Portrait?
Combining math and art sounds like a great idea, but it can be easier said than done, if you don’t want just a superficial treatment of either. And while the math that is involved with this project is on the simple side (students only need to count out shapes) it still reinforces the idea of what true symmetry is. And perhaps the best part, how great it can look when neatly done.
The good news for teachers and parents that want to try this out for the first time? You can benefit from my classroom experience in doing this with hundreds of students for many, many years. In summary, I saw that the order in how the face was drawn, made a big difference in the success of the outcome.
The Best Way to Draw a Minecraft Self Portrait
What I learned was that the usual way of drawing a face — outlining the head first, then adding eyes and mouth, etc. — wasn’t the best process for this particular project. That works when you work with ovals and are drawing something more realistic, but not when using a grid. I learned that many students, who tend to draw small anyway, started off with faces that were way too little. There often was no room for more that one square for the eye, instead of one that could show both the iris and the whites on either side, which adds a lot of life to the drawing.
The solution? Have students make their drawing from the inside out. If they make note of where the center line is, then start by drawing their eyes the size they want, and then draw head around it, they have a much better chance of drawing a face with some room to it. Especially one that makes use of all of that fun grid paper.
You can be sure that my PDF tutorial follows this process, so if students do follow the step by step instructions, they will do just fine. Whatever gets them to feeling successful sooner rather than later is a plus these days, in this teacher’s humble opinion.
Subscribe to “The Daily Draw” below to get this instant download!
Minecraft Coloring Pages
Minecraft Selfie Materials
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Prismacolor Colored Pencils. I LOVE this brand. The color is so much richer than the average pencils. The soft, thick cores are perfect for shading and shadows and this box includes 36 premium colored pencils.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips. Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers are great for making a crisp outline to your drawing. Use them when you want your outline show up, but not be so heavy that it detracts from other things.
How to Draw a Minecraft Selfie Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour
How to Draw a Minecraft Selfie in 9 Easy Steps
- Count the boxes to find the center line. Trace with pencil.
- Draw two symmetrical eyes.
- Draw a centered mouth.
- Start the bottom of the head.
- Draw the forehead hairline.
- Draw the neck and body.
- Finish the hair, long or short or bumpy, etc.
- Trace with a marker and color neatly.
- Example of a boy selfie.
Already subscribed to “The Daily Draw”?
Great, then use the download button below to get your free Miknecraft tutorial.
And thanks for wanting to bring more step-by-step, no-prep art lessons to your classroom!