Here’s an easy step-by-step how to draw a Minecraft Selfie tutorial and Minecraft coloring page. Starting with a grid template makes it all possible!
Combining math and art sounds like a great idea, but it can be easier said than done, if you don’t want just a superficial treatment of either. And while the math that is involved with this project is on the simple side (students only need to count out shapes) it still reinforces the idea of what true symmetry is. And perhaps the best part, how great it can look when neatly done.
The good news for teachers and parents that want to try this out for the first time? You can benefit from my classroom experience in doing this with hundreds of students for many, many years. In summary, I saw that the order in how the face was drawn, made a big difference in the success of the outcome.
The Best Way to Draw a Minecraft Selfie
What I learned was that the usual way of drawing a face — outlining the head first, then adding eyes and mouth, etc. — wasn’t the best process for this particular project. That works when you work with ovals and are drawing something more realistic, but not when using a grid. I learned that many students, who tend to draw small anyway, started off with faces that were way too little. There often was no room for more that one square for the eye, instead of one that could show both the iris and the whites on either side, which adds a lot of life to the drawing.
The solution? Have students make their drawing from the inside out. If they make note of where the center line is, then start by drawing their eyes the size they want, and then draw head around it, they have a much better chance of drawing a face with some room to it. Especially one that makes use of all of that fun grid paper.
You can be sure that my PDF tutorial follows this process, so if students do follow the step by step instructions, they will do just fine. Whatever gets them to feeling successful sooner rather than later is a plus these days, in this teacher’s humble opinion.
Use the Button below to download the PDF Tutorial
Minecraft Drawing Inspiration from Students
Minecraft Coloring Pages
Minecraft Selfie Materials
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Draw a Minecraft Selfie Directions
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Minecraft Selfie in 9 Easy Steps
- Count the boxes to find the center line. Trace with pencil.
- Draw two symmetrical eyes.
- Draw a centered mouth.
- Start the bottom of the head.
- Draw the forehead hairline.
- Draw the neck and body.
- Finish the hair, long or short or bumpy, etc.
- Trace with a marker and color neatly.
- Example of a boy selfie.