Here’s a fun Da Vinci art lesson, starting with a very famous face and then filling in your own background with lines, just for contrast.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Materials for a Da Vinci Art Project
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
Directions for a Da Vinci Project
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Easy Da Vinci Art Lesson
- View the Da Vinci painting for reference.
- Print the template on drawing paper.
- Sketch and trace the basic outlines. Trace with a thick marker.
- Add lots and lots of patterns with a thin black marker.