A US Capitol building drawing is quite a study of symmetry. This tutorial has some simplification to help older students see all those lovely details.
It has housed the meeting chambers of the House of Representatives and the Senate for two centuries. I’ve made a tutorial that includes graph paper to help students align all of its beautiful features.
- US Capitol Building PDF Tutorial
- Printer (to print graph paper found in tutorial)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
- Pencil crayons
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw the US Capitol
- Print grid paper and find center lines. Draw center steps.
- Add side arched walls.
- Add layer of pillars and columns.
- Draw outermost wings of building.
- Add center triangle and lower roof.
- Draw the upper roof and rotunda.
- Add middle layer of rotunda.
- Finish top rotunda. Add landscaping.
- Trace with a marker and color.