Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw the Capitol Building and Capitol Coloring Page. This tutorial has some simplification to help older students see all those lovely details.
Capitol Building Drawing
Now students can learn how to draw the US Capitol tutorial with a little help from some graph paper. It really helps students align all of those beautiful symmetrical features.
The Capital Building is one of the most iconic pieces of architecture in American history. It has housed the meeting chambers of the House of Representatives and the Senate for two centuries.
Fully opened in 1800, the Capital Building also houses some art reflecting great moments in early American history. The rotunda within the building hosts many paintings and sculptures. The top of the dome itself has a beautiful mural with George Washington himself looking down upon visitors.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Capitol Building Coloring Page
Materials for Capitol Building Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions for Capitol Building Drawing Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw the US Capitol
- Print grid paper and find center lines. Draw center steps.
- Add side arched walls.
- Add layer of pillars and columns.
- Draw outermost wings of building.
- Add center triangle and lower roof.
- Draw the upper roof and rotunda.
- Add middle layer of rotunda.
- Finish top rotunda. Add landscaping.
- Trace with a marker and color.