Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Uncle Sam and an Uncle Sam Coloring Page. His colorful yet simplified suit is easy for artists of all ages to draw.
This How to Draw Uncle Sam tutorial will help students draw him with his trademark clothes that are full of red, white and blue stars and stripes. The suit has been simplified so that young artists can get in some body proportion practice while drawing this fun, patriotic figure.
According to Britannica.com, Uncle Sam is a popular symbol for the United States who is usually associated with a cartoon figure having long white hair and chin whiskers and dressed in a swallow-tailed coat, vest, tall hat, and striped trousers. His appearance is derived from two earlier symbolic figures in American folklore: Yankee Doodle, a British-inspired nickname for American colonials during the American Revolution, and Brother Jonathan, a rural American wit who, by surprising displays of native intelligence, always triumphed over his adversaries in plays, stories, cartoons, and verse.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Uncle Sam Coloring Page
How to Draw Uncle Sam Tracing Page
Materials for a Uncle Sam Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw a Uncle Sam Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw Uncle Sam
- Start a simple head and hat.
- . Add the beginning of the coat below.
- Draw the pants below.
- Add the shoes and sleeves.
- Draw two hands as shown.
- Complete the face, hair and ears.
- Add the beard and hat details.
- Finish coat, tie and stripes on pants.
- Trace with a marker and color.