Learning how to draw a Ram Head is easy when you start with a step by step tutorial. Here’s some help in drawing those amazing horns that wrap around the ears and face.
Before we learn how to draw a ram head, here are a few fun facts about rams. The male Bighorn sheep is called a ram and can be recognized by his massive horns. The horns curl back over the ears, down, and up past the cheeks. By the time a ram reaches 7 or 8 years of age, he can have a set of horns with a full curl.
The horn size is a symbol of the animal’s rank. The males can have horns that weigh as much as 30 pounds, which they use in their head-to-head combat with other males.
This tutorial focuses on the ram’s head, so students can concentrate on those amazing horns. Most animals don’t have ones that curve so much, so it takes a bit more planning to make sure they (a) look like they curve around more than once, and (b) match each other as best they can.
Save this project for students that are looking for a little more of a challenge than just a simple ram. The tutorial shows how to draw the face with all its fierce details, and then the horns so they mirror each other.
And if a ram is your school mascot, this is your lucky day!
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
New! Coloring Page Gallery
Here’s a new option for busy teachers and parents. You can now easily download this drawing as a coloring page with the red button below. Just click to open it as a PDF, and save it to your desktop. You’ll have a free coloring page that you can print as often as you want, for whatever kind of project you want. Use it for younger students that want in on the coloring fun, or as a full size visual aid for those that are following the drawing tutorial. For many more fun things to color, please see my COLORING PAGE GALLERY It’s never been easier to see and download so many all in one place!
Ram Head Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Ram Head
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for a Ram Head Drawing Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Ram Head
- Draw the main part of the head.
- Add the eyes and nostril.
- Draw the brows, nose line and mouth.
- Draw the outside curve of the horns.
- Add the inside lines of the horns.
- Draw the details inside the horn.
- Erase the gray lines and add ears.
- Erase the gray lines. Draw neck fur line.
- Trace with a marker and color