Here’s how to draw a guitar, one with a classic kind of look. The step by step tutorial shows how to add the strings and details in the right places.
The guitar consists of a hollow wooden body with six strings stretched over it and along a narrow neck. Guitars usually have a single, round sound hole in the body. The strings can be strummed with the fingers or plucked. Some guitarists use a plectrum (triangular piece of plastic) to sound the strings.
Guitars can be divided into two broad categories, acoustic and electric guitars. Within each of these categories, there are also further sub-categories. For example, an electric guitar can be purchased in a six-string model (the most common model) or in seven- or twelve-string models. Acoustic guitars have several notable subcategories, including classical and flamenco guitars; steel-string guitars, which include the flat-topped, or “folk” guitar.
This tutorial will show students how to draw the classic acoustic type of guitar. It is a very symmetrical shape to draw, so placing it on its side will help get the top and bottom half to match.
Use Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
How to Draw a Guitar Step by Step Materials
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
How to Draw a Guitar Directions
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Guitar
- Draw a rectangle for the neck.
- Add the symmetrical body shape.
- Draw the end of the neck.
- Add the side lines of the body.
- Draw the tuning pegs.
- Add the sound hole and the fret wires.
- Start the strings lines along the neck.
- Finish the lines at the tuning pegs.
- Trace with a marker and color.