Learn how to draw a book with an easy step by step tutorial, and then add your own words on the cover.
Sooner or later, there may come a time when students need to know how to draw a book. It could be to go with a book report, or for a school book drive, or some decorations for the library.
If that is the case, then why not have them draw a book that looks really substantial, with a fancy hard cover? It only takes a few extra steps to have the pages set in a bit for a big and heavy look. The finished book is so much prettier than just a rectangle with straight sides, like you would see for your average paperback.
Adding a title to the cover is also a good chance to practice some lettering skills. To make the letters look like they are laying flat on the cover, they need to run parallel to the edges of the book. Making a very light guide line first, as shown in step 6, will really help students plan out their letters before they trace them.
- How to Draw a Book (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 20 minutes.
How to Draw a Book
- Draw a rectangle cover at an angle, as shown.
- Add a spine on one side.
- Draw the pages below the cover.
- Add the back cover below.
- Draw art and lines on the spine.
- Add very light guide lines on the cover.
- Write letters that follow the guide lines.
- Erase guide lines and add final details.
- Trace with marker and color.