Learn how to draw a cartoon bear with a fun winter hat and scarf. The shapes are simple and lots of fun to decorate.
Cartoon Bear Drawing
What makes a drawing more of a cartoon than a regular drawing? Well, in my opinion, it’s when the features become more of a symbol of what they are, and not so much what they really look like. For instance, the eyes on this bear are just two dots, and the mouth a curved line. The shapes and proportions are all there, just very simplified.
When the purpose is more about making a fun, seasonal drawing (hello hat and scarf!) exploring the world of cartoon drawing is a great way for young artists to get started. They can spend more of their time on the creative additions instead of detailed features.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Cartoon Bear Coloring Page
How to Draw an a Cartoon Bear Materials
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Cartoon Bear
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Snow Bear
- Draw a large U, connect the top.
- Add two small ears.
- Draw a brim for the hat.
- Finish the hat and add ball.
- Draw the face.
- Draw the scarf and shoulders.
- Add two scarfs.
- Fill brim and scarf with patterns.
- Trace with marker and color.