Now your students can learn how to draw Harry Potter with a new step by step tutorial. His scarf, wand and owl are there, all in easy to draw form.
Harry Potter, star of the series of books by author J. K. Rowling, is bound to be one of those classic characters that children are going to love to read about for years to come. And what better to draw than what many are already huge fans of?
This new tutorial shows how to draw Harry in a fairly realistic yet simple way, so even younger elementary students can follow along. And if it takes pop culture to make a connection to some of the more reluctant artists in your room, why not? You just never know what might stick, once that connection is made.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Harry Potter Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw Harry Potter
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw Harry Potter
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw Harry Potter
- Start the head.
- Add bangs on top, and two ears.
- Draw the outer hair line.
- Add the face (with scar!) as shown.
- Draw the scarf and coat.
- Add the hand, wand, shirt and pants.
- Draw a simple owl.
- Add an arm underneath, and bushes and moon behind.
- Trace with a marker and color.