Learn how to draw Iron Man, a popular superhero character in the Marvel comics, with this easy step by step tutorial.
Iron Man has appeared as the star of his own comic book series, as a regular guest in other popular comics (most notably in the The Avengers), in animated films and television series, and in live-action motion pictures.
Now fans of Iron Man can learn how to draw him in this famously hi-tech suit. In real life, it’s pretty complex, but this new tutorial simplifies the pieces, without losing any of his very cool overall look. The boots, gloves and helmet all become much easier to draw when the focus is just on the main shape, and not all the bits and pieces that are inside. Those looking for an extra challenge cane even try a plane or two in the background.
(Note: Students are also getting some good symmetrical drawing practice when they take this project on – diagonal lines, curves, geometric shapes and more.)
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Iron Man Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw Iron Man
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw Iron Man
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw Iron Man
- Start with the head shape.
- Fill in the face details.
- Start the body lines.
- Continue the waist and thighs.
- Draw the boots.
- Start the shoulders.
- Add gloves and chest details.
- Draw a background and plane.
- Trace with marker and color.