Below you’ll find 6 easy, step-by-step tutorials for how to draw a leaf, including a leaf drawing video art lesson, and even a leaf coloring page. The Fall leaf drawing form a pretty grid display your kids will feel proud of.
Leaf Drawing Tutorial Video
Whether you are looking to draw leaves, or have something that needs them added to the background, here’s a handy tutorial for you. It includes six basic types of leaves so students can just begin to learn the different names, without getting too scientific.
My experience is that some are easiest to draw when you start with veins first, and the leaf shape around then, and others visa versa. Either way, I hope this easy leaf drawing tutorial comes in handy the next time you need some variety for your fall leaf art.
Media note: Crayons work great, but this can make a lovely watercolor painting too, as shown in my sample to the right. I recommended using real watercolor paper, a black Sharpie for a bleed-proof drawing and liquid watercolor paint. Extra dabs of color along the veins make for some fun wet-on-wet painting practice.
Join my Email List below to get this Instant Download!
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Leaves Coloring Page
Materials to Draw Fall Leaves
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a nice dark black color.
- Crayons. I like this non-toxic brand that is made from beeswax, not petroleum by-products.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Leaf
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw 6 different kinds of Leaves
- Willow leaf. Draw a line for the stem. Add a curve on the left side and the right side. Draw V shapes for the veins. Trace with a marker and color.
- Beech leaf. Draw a line for the stem. Add a curve on the left side and on the right side. Draw lines for the veins. Trace with a marker and color.
- Walnut or Ash leaf. Draw a line for the stem. Add a V shape. Draw small leaf shapes around the ends. Trace with a marker and color.
- Poplar leaf. Draw a line for the stem. Add an upside down heart shape on the left side and on the right side. Draw more V shapes inside for the veins. Trace with a marker and color.
- Oak leaf. Draw a line for the stem. Add upside down V shapes. Draw finger like shapes around them. Trace with a marker and color.
- Maple Leaf. Draw a line for the stem. Draw the left side of the leaf as shown. Draw a matching shape on the right side. Draw lines for veins. Trace with a marker and color.