OK, this is my new favorite line art project. Students learn to make leaves transparent by drawing them only with lines.
These students are 1st graders and they really took their time and drew LOTS of lines. I think having quality markers made all the difference.
- Drawing paper
- Leaf stencils, or templates cut from posterboard
- Stabilo Markers, or other medium tip markers
- Students trace a leaf with a pencil. They add a stem and center line.
- The leaf drawing is traced with a marker. The inside is filled with diagonal lines. The closer the lines are to each other, the better.
- A leaf stencil is placed on the paper, slightly overlapping the first leaf. The same process is repeated.
- When there is no more space of whole leaves, then fill remaining white areas with partials that go off the page.
Note: This post contains an affiliate link.