This Scream art project was shared from Washington Elementary School in Michigan, and it was a huge hit with my students as well. It combines Edvard Munch’s “The Scream” face with some blow paint fun for all kinds of expressionist possibilities.
Look at Edvard Munch’s “The Scream” painting to see how much expression can be created with lines and color.
• Drawing or multimedia paper
• Sharpie marker
• Liquid watercolor paint
1. Draw a head that takes up the bottom half of the paper. Draw a large mouth and raised features as shown so the face looks tilted up.
2. Trace all the lines with a black Sharpie marker.
3. Color heavily with crayon. The goal is to not have any blown paint sit on top of the face and clothes.
4. Use a straw to dab liquid watercolor paint around the head. Blow outward as much as possible to get thick and then thin lines.
UPDATE: I’m so happy I can give credit to the inspiration for this project – Joslyn who posted it on her blog in 2011. She has further tips and a recommended book so please check it out here: