The best art projects for blending colors involve oil pastels, if you ask me. The thickness of the media actually lets you mix them on the paper.
LIKE THIS ART JOURNAL PROJECT?
For more easy drawing tutorials like this one, please see my “Principles of Design” ebook in my PDF Shop.
It’s a collection of projects with an Principles of Design themes, that are simple and designed to with my Recycled Art Journal system.
- Download the PDF Blended Tree Tutorial
- Drawing paper, 12″ x 9″ cut to 6″ x 9
- Oil pastels
1. Draw the center of the tree, extending from the bottom to the top of the paper.
2. Add a wavy branch to the left.
3. Add a wavy branch to the right.
4. Add another branch on the left.
5. Draw two more branches on the left.
6. Draw two more branches on the right.
7. Make sure your pencil lines always go off the paper.
8. Trace the pencil lines with a marker. Trace them again to make them thick and fill in the trunk
9. Color one area with two colors that are similar.
10. Use both pastels to color back and forth over the edge until blended.
11. Start the next area, always completing each with similar colors and blending carefully.
12. Continue until all the areas are colored in.
Submit your review