Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Tribal Mask and a Tribal Mask Coloring Page. Their large simple shapes are perfect practice for young artists learning how to draw faces.
Tribal Mask Drawing
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
The fun part about studying tribal masks is learning just how many different looks there are, spread across many different ages and cultures. Even just a quick google search will show you what I mean.
The one thing the masks all seem to have in common though is that they have simple, exaggerated features made in big and bold ways. Colors too are all chosen to get the most attention, so you can understand why they might be so much fun for kids to draw.
This mask drawing is just one possibility. Its very dramatic features can certainly be filled in with natural colors, or over-the-top bright ones like the example here. Students will love coming up with their own version.
Tribal Mask Coloring Page
Materials to draw a Tribal Mask
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for a Tribal Mask Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw an Tribal Mask
- Start with a simple U shape.
- Draw two eye shapes on the line.
- Add a brow line above the eyes.
- Draw a nose and mouth.
- Add two cheek shapes.
- Draw two ears.
- Add stripes on the forehead.
- Trace with a marker and color.
- Finish with hair shapes on top.