Learn how to draw an easy cat by starting with two circles, one for the head and one to help draw the curves of a nice chubby belly.
Circles are one of the harder shapes for them to draw, and I’ve found that a roll of masking tape is the perfect template for them to hold and trace.
Tracing provides valuable fine motor skill practice, and helps students start with a nice large head. It’s kind of hard to draw a nice features if you have to make them tiny to fit. In addition, circles often trip up young artists as they try to make them “perfect” so having some help will get them to the final steps that will allow more creativity. Like a super special collar and maybe even a name tag.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Easy Cat Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw an Easy Cat
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw an Easy Cat
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to draw an Easy Cat
- Draw two circles by tracing a roll of tape.
- Draw a body around the bottom circle.
- Add two eyes.
- Draw a mouth
- Add whiskers.
- Add two ears.
- Draw two legs.
- Add tail and collar.
- Trace with marker and color.