I found an amazing artist and illustrator, Nate Williams, who has a very childlike style that I think students will really relate to for a fun self portrait.
Check out the Kids page on his site, it’s too cute! I’m going to borrow his idea of primitive faces with writing for this creative self portrait project.
• Watercolor paper
• Black Sharpie marker
• Watercolor paint
- Students draw a VERY simple profile head, with our without a hat, with simple neck and shoulders.
- About 3 or 4 lines are added to split up the face.
- All lines are traced with a marker.
- The sections in the face are filled in with words that students love: activities, food, hobbies. The words need to creatively FILL each section.
- After planning in pencil, the lines are traced with a crayon.
- The background of the writing is filled with watercolor paint. Other areas may be filled with crayon.