I saw this idea on Artsonia.com, and love showing kids how lines can give dimension to their art.
1. The students first trace their hand on a piece of paper. When finished, they should make the tops of their fingers very pointy.
2. Vertical lines are drawn as shown. The more irregular they are, the better. When complete, the lines can be traced with a marker.
3. Demonstrate to the students how they can place their marker on a vertical line and “jump”, or make an arch to the next line. It’s best to start at the bottom and work upwards. When they reach a finger, the lines become just single “jumps”.
4. Leaves may be added around the tree, and grass in the background.
5. Color with crayons or colored pencils. Note: This can make a spooky Halloween drawing if done on black paper with white pencil crayons.