Learn how to draw a Palm Tree and its famous notched leaves. This tutorial shows how to draw them from several points of view.
Palm Tree Drawing
This tutorial will show students how to draw a palm tree, and make those signature leaves look as real as possible. The easiest way to draw all those notches is to start with the overall shape first, and then add the cut outs second. A little careful erasing afterwards and voila! A tree with lots of beautiful palm leaves.
Palm trees are shaped like no other, which is probably why they are so often used to symbolize everything connected to beach life. All you need to see is just their outline and a breezy ocean comes to mind. Use this tutorial to feature a palm tree on its own, or as a start to a beautiful ocean landscape. There are all kinds of possibilities when you know how to draw a palm tree!
Join “The Daily Draw” below to get this free download!
Save me to your Pinterest Board
Palm Tree Coloring Page
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw a Palm Tree
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw a Palm Tree
- Draw a curved tree trunk.
- Add the section lines.
- Plan the leaves with 6 curved lines.
- Draw the sides of each leaf as shown.
- Add a line to thicken the spines.
- Draw the V shapes in the leaves.
- Erase the openings of the V shapes.
- Draw the coconuts, ocean and clouds.
- Trace with a marker and color.