Learn how to draw a koala and show your support for the wildlife in Australia that needs our help after dealing with massive fires.
NOTE: This cute guy is often mistakenly referred to as a Koala Bear, but he should correctly just be called a Koala. Turns out it’s a common mistake many people make, but an easy one to fix, so I hope to do my part. 🙂
There are a few details that you need to watch when drawing a Koala, to keep him or her from looking like any other kind of cute furry creature.
Make sure you draw a head that is wide at the cheeks, ears that are shaggy, and a dark oval for the mouth and nose. Chubby arms with little paws help too.
Once they are drawn and traced, all you need is a good gray marker to add some shadows. May favorite Stabilo markers used on drawing paper (not just copy paper) work great for this.
Note: An easier Koala tutorial is available below this one. Keep scrolling down to find it.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Koala Coloring Page
Materials for Koala Drawing
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Stabilo Markers. The large pack provides lots of fun color choices, several shades of each color, including a few choices for skin. The tips are perfect for coloring, and there’s even a promise that they will work after being uncapped for 8 weeks!
Directions for How to Draw a Koala Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw a Koala
- Make guidelines. Draw the eyes and nose.
- Draw the head and ears.
- Add furry lines to the ears.
- Start the body with a swirl shape.
- Add a foot and furry lines.
- Draw an arm and small paw.
- Erase extra fur lines. Draw a tree.
- Trace and color with markers.
- Add extra gray and brown color for shadows.
Draw an Easy Koala and Baby
- Draw an Easy Koala PDF Tutorial (click to download)
- Black Sharpie marker, fine tip