Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Stocking and a Stocking Coloring Page. A few tips will help it look extra full of gifts!
A favorite holiday decoration is the classic stocking, hanging by a rope or the fireplace. It’s easy to see why they are so loved, with their bright colors and hint of secret gifts inside. When students learn how to draw a Christmas Stocking, they can turn it into a charming gift or holiday card.
The basic drawing of a stocking is rather simple, but this tutorial will show how easy it is to add a little more dimension.
First, the pattern on the stocking itself can be curved a bit, which is extra easy if you work with stripes. That’s all it takes to make it already look more round and less flat.
Second, the opening in the top can include something fun peeking out, like a wrapped gift. By drawing a band to make it look like it goes wraps around the item, the stocking looks like it could have all kinds of fun things stuffed inside. Which I suppose is the allure in the first place!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
Christmas Stocking Coloring Page
New! See my Coloring Page Gallery
How to Draw a Stocking Drawing
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions to Draw a Stocking Step by Step
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Christmas Stocking
- Start with an angled band.
- Add the stocking below.
- Draw a heal and toe sections.
- Add stripes above the heel.
- Draw more stripes and stitches.
- Add part of a package on top.
- Add ribbon and a loop.
- Draw a hanging rope.
- Trace with marker and color.