Quite possibly the world’s most simple monster drawing. Students used a roll of masking tape to draw the eyes, one of which needed to be going off the page.
Try challenging older students to add shadows by painting extra layers of color along the edges. These monsters have some texture added simply by sprinkling some salt or dripping a bit of lemon juice. The nice big monster shapes make this an ideal project to try out some of this fun watercolor technique.
• Watercolor paper, try Strathmore for special occasions
• Roll of masking tape, or similar, for tracing
• Sharpie, black, chisel tip
• Liquid watercolor paint
• (Optional) Salt
• (Optional) Lemon juice
1. Trace the inside of a roll of tape the draw two eyes. Finish the monster head by drawing lightly with a pencil.
2. Trace the lines with the thick black marker.
3. Paint the art carefully with watercolor.
4. Sprinkle salt on the paint for a speckled look, and lemon juice for the blotchy look. Let dry and brush off any excess salt.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.