Learn how to draw a Donkey with this easy step by step tutorial. This one is based on simple shapes so artists of all ages can enjoy drawing one.
Donkeys live all over the world these days, but they actually originated in North Africa over 5,000 years ago. Egyptians used them as working animals, and today they can still be found doing jobs like transporting people and goods and tilling fields.
Donkeys prefer warm, dry desert like conditions. Though they usually eat grass, they also eat shrubs and desert plants, grinding them down with their teeth.
This new tutorial will help students draw an animal that most definitely looks like a donkey, and not a funny looking horse. Donkeys have shorter legs, bigger heads and much longer ears. My step by step tutorial will shown students how it’s done, from start to finish, so their animal drawing will never look like anything else except a most adorable donkey!
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
How to Draw a Donkey Materials
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Donkey
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Donkey
- Draw an oval for the belly.
- Start the head above and to the right
- Connect the two with a neck.
- Erase gray lines and add face and ear
- Erase, draw the mane behind the ear.
- Add back ear and two legs.
- Erase lines, add tail and two more legs.
- Add a ground, flower and sky.
- Trace with a marker and color.