Here’s an easy way to draw a Shamrock for St. Patrick’s Day. Fill up a page and turn it into a fancy painting, if you’d like.
Here’s a super easy way for your students to draw not just one shamrock, but a whole page of them! Once they are sketched out in pencil, they can be turned into a pretty painting project as it’s easy to make a more watery green for a background. In fact, by pointing out that students would be changing the VALUE of the color, you just added an Element of Art lesson to the project too.
Not to worry if you don’t have those supplies though, crayons always work great too, and most packs do include a couple of shades of green.
Either way, do use the trick of drawing some curvy cross shapes all over the paper to first create a balanced layout, and then turn those cross ends into heart shaped leaves. It’s an easy way to make a page full of dancing shamrocks. Press extra hard with crayon along the spines to give those leaves an extra dimensional look.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Shamrock Coloring Page
Materials for Shamrock Project
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Watercolor Paper.
- Real watercolor paper always makes the watercolor paint much more vibrant.
- The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Crayola Crayons.
- This classic brand always works well.
- Rounded Watercolor Brush.
- A good paint brush can make all the difference in the world. Who can paint small details with one of those big floppy brushes? This style with a sturdy rounded tip were my hands down favorite.
- Liquid Watercolor Paint.
- These paints are so easy to work with, leave such bright colors and last for a long, long time. Well worth the investment.
- Non-Spill Paint Cup.
- Train your students to leave the matching brush in each cup after they use it, and you have an easy system with very little cleanup.
Step by Step Directions for Shamrock Project
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Shamrock
- Draw about five cross shapes lightly with a pencil.
- Draw hearts lightly around the 3 short ends.
- Use a dark green paint to trace and fill in.
- Use a lighter green to fill in the back. Leave some space.
- Trace and add lines with a gold paint marker.
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
More St. Patrick’s Day Drawing Projects