Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Dove and a Dove Coloring Page. They have been a symbol of peace since the beginning of time.
Doves are the most common types of bird in the world, and were been domesticated long ago. Famous historical figures such as Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar, and others used them to deliver messages.
A dove with an olive branch in its core represents the symbol of peace. The dove of peace encompasses all the countries of the world and is a sign that was adopted once the Second World War ended.
In 1949, the painter Pablo Picasso participated in the World Congress for Peace and designed the poster of the congress with the lithograph of a dove resting on the ground and then drew another with the dove flying with the olive branch in its beak. Then the dove of peace became popular and spread everywhere.
This tutorial breaks down how to draw a dove in a few easy and simple steps. The wings are extended above the body and the shapes are simplified so that children of all ages can draw a dove that fills the page.
The world can always use a few more drawings and wishes for peace from children all around the world.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Dove Coloring Page
Materials for Dove Drawing
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for Dove Drawing
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Dove
- Draw the front of the bird body.
- Add the back of the bird.
- Draw the tail feathers, beak and eye.
- Start the wing, with a light curved edge.
- Draw evenly spaced feather lines.
- Add the rounded feather ends.
- Draw part of the other wing.
- Add leaves and clouds.
- Trace with marker and color.