Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Lion Face and a Lion Face Coloring Page. The simple symmetrical shapes make it extra easy.
This tutorial focuses on how to draw a lion face and shares an easy way to make some intense looking eyes. Keeping the brow lines straight and the pupils tucked up under will always give them a serious look, whether you are drawing an animal or even a human. Anytime the tops of the pupils are flattened under straight brows, the eyes will tend to have an angry look.
Using Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing project is to show them how to use guides as a reference.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, both in the horizontal and vertical direction. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
For instance, the first step of this abstract face starts in the center of the top left quarter of the paper. The line then curves down to the bottom and back up to the center of the right quarter. Those guide lines help students how to get off to a more accurate start — much more so than if they just had a blank sheet of paper to look at.
So does that mean students need to draw a big fat lines down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That would most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will just disappear.
And now, on to our drawing project.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Lion Face Coloring Page
Materials for a Lion Face Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a reasonable price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Oil Pastels. This is the brand I have used for years on all my murals. The rich color just glides on the paper. Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for a Lion Face Drawing
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Lion Face
- Draw a triangle nose in the center of the paper.
- Add the two angled lines above the nose.
- Draw two eyes tucked underneath those lines.
- Add the pupils inside the eyes.
- Add the mouth lines and start the chin.
- Draw the cheeks on each side of the head.
- Angle the lines in to draw the forehead.
- Finish the top of the head and add the two ears.
- Trace the drawing with a pastel or crayon and color.