Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial video for how to draw a Toucan and a Toucan Coloring Page. This profile view shows all his best features.
Toucan Tutorial Video
When it comes to drawing birds, you can’t find many that are more interesting (and colorful!) than a toucan. Their long beaks and large eyes and squat little bodies are fascinating to look at, so you almost can’t help but have have a beautiful drawing when you learn how to draw a toucan.
A tip when it comes to coloring? Fill in the background with as much green as possible. It takes some extra time, but gives the added feeling of the rain forest canopies, which is where toucans live.
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Nope, not at all! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Toucan Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Toucan
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
How to Draw a Toucan Bird Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour
Toucan Drawing Instructions
- Draw a curvy branch.
- Draw one side of the body.
- Add the other side, with an opening for the beak.
- Draw a large beak.
- Add the beak details.
- Draw two large circles for the eye.
- Add line around the eye, claws and tail.
- Fill the background with branches and leaves.
- Trace with a marker and color.