Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial video for how to draw a Dragon and Dragon Coloring Pages. Scroll down to find even more dragon drawing ideas.
This How to Draw a Dragon tutorial is designed to keep all the fun details that students know and love, but add them in a way that is not overly confusing. By starting with a large curved body, and adding all the fun elements second, it’s easier to see and understand where they need to go. It all adds up to a dragon lesson that works for a wide range of elementary students. For several more dragon drawing projects, use the thumbnail links above to see them and download those tutorials too.
Dragon Drawing Tutorial Video
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, both in the horizontal and vertical direction. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow. For instance, as seen in Step 1 below, this easy dragon body starts with a V shape above the center horizontal line, and to the left of the center vertical line. The rest of the mouth and nose then starts to take place around it. Drawing skills have a lot to do with getting the right size and placement of lines on a sheet of paper, so having some visual reference points to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate. Before drawing students need to simply fold the paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Join my Email List Below to get this Instant Download!
Dragon Coloring Page
Time Lapse Sketching of an Easy Dragon
Materials for Dragon drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions to Draw a Dragon
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Dragon Step by Step
- Draw a sideways “V” for the open mouth.
- Add crocodile-looking jaws around it.
- Draw the top of the body.
- Add the bottom of the body.
- Draw the dragon’s legs and claws.
- Add a belly line, horn, teeth and eye.
- Draw the texture lines in the belly.
- Finish with spikes on the back and fire in the mouth. Draw some clouds.
- Trace the dragon with marker and color.