Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Squirrel and a Squirrel Coloring Page. A simple side view will let you see all of his trademark fluffy tail.
When it comes to learning how to draw a squirrel, there are lots of tutorials out there that are either super cartoon-like, or super realistic. The cartoon versions don’t really teach students about their slender and graceful bodies, and yet the more advanced versions aren’t really appropriate either. Especially for elementary school.
This tutorial focuses more on getting the shape of the head and legs and tail right, and not so much about tiny details of their claws. That’s more than enough to take on when you are just learning how to draw.
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
And now, on to the squirrel drawing project.
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Squirrel Coloring Page
How to Draw a Squirrel Materials
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
How to Draw a Squirrel Step by Step
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Learn to Draw a Squirrel in 9 easy steps
- Start the head.
- Draw the eye, nose, mouth and the ears.
- Start the back with a curve.
- Continue the curve and add a back leg.
- Draw an arm under the chin.
- Add an acorn behind it.
- Draw the other arm, leg and the tail. Erase the gray line.
- Add a tree and horizon line.
- Trace the drawing with marker and color.