A few key features will help you learn how to draw Frida Kahlo like a pro. She was a Mexican self-portrait artist and feminist icon who was married to Diego Rivera. Draw her hair up, with flowers and classic heavy eyebrows, and there’s not much mistaking whose portrait you are drawing.
• Black card stock paper, or dark black construction paper
• Oil pastels (Cray-Pas work great)
PREP: Print a color copy of my Frida Kahlo tutorial for each student.
1. Draw guidelines on center of paper with a ruler. Follow the steps to first make a drawing in pencil.
2. Trace all the lines with a black oil pastel. Press hard to make a heavy line.
3. Color in the face and background, taking care to go around the black pastel.