For this leaf art project, students were asked to let crayons and paint do what they do best – make patterns and lots of bright colors. This amazing leaf was created by a 1st grader, Sara G. I could look at it all day.
1. Draw a large leaf shape that fills the paper diagonally.
2. Trace the leaf and veins with a thick black Sharpie marker.
3. Use crayons to make lots and lots of patterns in each section of the leaf.
4. Trace the outline of the leaf with white and / or light crayons at least 3 times.
5. Use liquid watercolors liberally, and let the colors bleed wherever they wanted to.