My favorite 3D drawing step by step tutorial is also an excellent example of turning a Shape into a Form (both Elements of Art). To cap it off, if you color with changing the Value of the buildings you have used three elements of art in one project.
If you have purchased my “Recycled Art Journal” ebook, this project is an excellent addition as it covers three Elements of Art in one lesson. You will just need to trim the paper to the journal’s 6″ x 9″ format. It actually makes it a very easy lesson to complete in that size in 45 minutes.
I use tabloid paper when I do this project with 1st graders, and then the 6″ x 9″ journal size for 2nd grade on up. I find that the younger students need the large format to give them space to work.
- 3D Building PDF Tutorial (download HERE)
- Card stock paper, letter size
- Printed graph paper
- Black Sharpie
- PREP: Print “3D Building PDF Tutorial”, including the tutorial and graph paper for each student. A full size sample is included for classroom display. To make a large tabloid sheets like the one used in my sample, try taping two letter pages together.
- Students draw the 3D buildings as shown on my tutorial.
- The drawing is traced with a black Sharpie.
- The buildings are colored with crayons, using more pressure on the sides to create a look of a shadow.