Learn how to draw an easy dragon by starting with a rectangle and half circle. Great for younger dragon-loving artists.
Fantasy creatures are certainly fun to draw, with all they lend to the imagination. The dragon though, has to be up there on the list of the more complex.
What with their fire-breathing mouths, wings, spikes, claws and tail, they can be a lot for students to take on when they are just starting to learn how to draw.
This doesn’t mean those students have to miss out on something as fun as making up their own dragon though. A tutorial that starts with some really basic body shapes, and then gradually adds more details is a good way to start. It’s a great way to insure that their dragon ends up looking as strong and sturdy as he or she can be.
- Draw an Easy Dragon (click to open a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker, permanent
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to draw an Easy Dragon
- Draw rectangle head and half circle body.
- Add a neck and tail.
- Draw four legs.
Erase lines inside the legs.
- Add the mouth, teeth, eyes and ears.
Erase the gray line shown.
- Draw two wings.
- Add spikes all along the back.
- Add spots and triangle tail end.
- Finish with fire and ground line.
- Trace with a marker and color.