Learn how to draw Squirtle from Pokemon with this easy step by step tutorial. Who could resist his cute face?
Squirtle is also known as the Tiny Turtle Pokémon. Turns out that during battle, he hides in his shell and sprays water at his opponent. That sounds like one of the less evil battles I have ever heard of.
I bet that Squirtle’s cute face and fluffy tail have something to do with his appeal, so this tutorial makes it easy to draw both of those. And to add a little more dimension, his body is slightly turned so you can see his cool shell.
TIP: Be sure to draw lightly so that the extra lines can be easily erased. That’s how to pros do it!
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Materials for How to Draw Squirtle
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for How to Draw Squirtle
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw Squirtle
- Draw a head and attached body.
- Lightly add wavy shell lines.
- Draw large eyes.
- Add the mouth and details.
- Lightly add the belly lines, off center.
- Draw the arms.
- Erase lines and draw the legs.
- Erase lines, add a tail and background.
- Trace with marker and color.