Eric Carle’s wonderful book is a great read before for learning how to draw a simple seahorse. Perfect for students learning about sea creatures.
This project has been on my keeper list for years now, and I even have a previous tutorial I will add below. Pictured here is the plastic embroidery mesh panels that I often use to not only add texture, but to hold wet paintings after watercolor washes have been applied. You can find them for less than $1 at most Jo-Ann’s stores.
- Draw a Simple Seahorse PDF Tutorial
- Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle*
- Multi media paper
- Black Sharpie marker*
- Plastic embroidery canvas*
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw a Simple Seahorse
- Draw a vertical line.
- Continue with hump for the head.
- Continue to the right for nose and bump.
- Continue back for the jaw.
- Continue down for the belly.
- Continue to the left for a tail.
- Finish the other side of the tail.
- Add fins, eye and mouth line.
- Trace with a marker, color and paint.