Eric Carle’s wonderful book is a great read before for learning how to draw a simple seahorse. Perfect for students learning about sea creatures.
This project has been on my keeper list for years now, and I even have a previous tutorial I will add below. Pictured here is the plastic embroidery mesh panels that I often use to not only add texture, but to hold wet paintings after watercolor washes have been applied. You can find them for less than $1 at most Jo-Ann’s stores.
- Draw a Simple Seahorse PDF Tutorial
- Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle*
- Multi media paper
- Black Sharpie marker*
- Plastic embroidery canvas*
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
LOOKING FOR MORE DRAWING PROJECT IDEAS?
There are 200 fun and easy drawing tutorials made just for young artists in my giant How To Draw ebook.
All were created with lots of hands on classroom testing, and designed to take beginner artists from the first step to the last with clear and simple diagrams.
It’s all you need to provide hours of drawing fun with tutorials for Animals, Fish, Insects, Birds, Landscapes, Plants, Transportation, People and much more. Just click on the book or title to learn more.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw a Simple Seahorse
- Draw a vertical line.
- Continue with hump for the head.
- Continue to the right for nose and bump.
- Continue back for the jaw.
- Continue down for the belly.
- Continue to the left for a tail.
- Finish the other side of the tail.
- Add fins, eye and mouth line.
- Trace with a marker, color and paint.