I created this How to Draw the Statue of Liberty tutorial for kinders, who study US symbols in the spring of each year. Lady Liberty’s body and clothes would be pretty complex for them to draw (actually for anyone to draw), but her face and crown are pretty manageable if you just break them down into simple steps. What’s nice too is that it is accurate, there really are seven spikes coming out from her crown.
• Watercolor paper
• Sharpie marker, chisel tip
• Liquid watercolor paint
PREP. Print a tutorial for every student to see. Draw or print guidelines on paper. Mix turquoise paint for students to share.
1. Students make their drawing in pencil.
2. The art is traced with a black marker.
3. Stars are drawn in the background with lots of different colored crayons.
4. The background is painted, over stars and all, with black paint