Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Puffin and a Puffin Coloring Page. They have a unique and colorful look that is all their own!
Drawing of a Puffin
A great way to learn how to draw a Puffin is to get some advice on those amazing beaks. Their penguin-like bodies are kind of simple, but the beaks might take a little extra time to do justice! In real life, the bright colors all kind of blend into each other, so simplifying the coloring into little sections instead, really helps.
Did you know that a Puffin’s beak only gets this colorful during the warmer months of summer? After a puffin finds the perfect match during their mating season, its beak will fade to a duller color for the winter months.
Although puffins are not classed as an endangered species, populations in some places are getting smaller. The main threats are overfishing and pollution, mostly due to oil spills. Not only does the oil make these beautiful birds sick, it destroys their waterproof feathers, which are needed for their survival.
Student Art Gallery
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Puffin Coloring Page
Materials for Puffin Project
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for Puffin Project
Time needed: 1 hour
How to Draw a Puffin
- Make the guidelines. Draw the head with point side.
- Start the belly underneath.
- Finish by drawing the back.
- Add the wing.
- Draw two feet. Add an eye and beak lines.
- Add all the details.
- Draw a land mass behind the puffin.
- Finish with water lines and a sun.
- Trace with a marker and color with a crayon.