Learn how to draw a volleyball with an easy step by step tutorial. A marker and one light gray crayon can make it look a lot like the real thing.
The game of volleyball, originally called “mintonette,” was invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan. Morgan, a graduate of the Springfield College of the YMCA, designed the game to be a combination of basketball, baseball, tennis, and handball. It’s come a long way as it is now one of the big five international sports with its 220 affiliated national federations, is the largest international sporting federation in the world.
The volleyball itself is rather simple to draw as it is all white with a just a pattern of curved bands wrapped around it. This tutorial will show students an easy way to draw those to give their volleyball a very three dimensional look. (Elements of Art using LINES to give something FORM!) If you like what looks like a slight shadow around those lines, just trace the marker line with a light gray crayon.
Use Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
How to Draw a Volleyball Step by Step Materials
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
How to Draw a Volleyball Directions
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Volleyball
- Draw or trace a circle.
- Place a small dot as shown.
- Draw three sections lines as shown.
- Finish bottom section as shown.
- Add a curved line inside the top right.
- Add two curved lines in the bottom.
- Add two more curved lines on the left.
- Draw a floor line.
- Trace with a marker and color.