Learn how to draw a cactus, and then turn it into a lesson on perspective as well. You’ll end up with a lovely desert landscape.
Your basic saguaro cactus that is found in the desert is one of my favorite things to draw. Here are just a few reasons why:
- The basic shapes are pretty easy for artists of all ages.
- They really start to look dimensional when you add the LINES (an Element of Art).
- They really pop when you change the VALUE (another Element) of the edges by making them darker.
- Spread out a few of varying sizes and you have a lovely desert landscape with SPACE (one more).
That’s a whole bunch of learning packed into one lesson!
LOOKING FOR MORE DRAWING PROJECT IDEAS?
There are 200 fun and easy drawing tutorials made just for young artists in my giant How To Draw ebook.
All were created with lots of hands on classroom testing, and designed to take beginner artists from the first step to the last with clear and simple diagrams.
It’s all you need to provide hours of drawing fun with tutorials for Animals, Fish, Insects, Birds, Landscapes, Plants, Transportation, People and much more. Just click on the book or title to learn more.
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw Cactus
- Draw the middle of the large cactus.
- Add two arms.
- Add a middle arm. Erase the extra lines. Draw a road.
- Draw the medium size cactus.
- Draw the smallest cactus in the middle.
- Add mountain lines in the background.
- Draw some clouds where you have space.
- Trace with a marker and color.
- Press hard for extra color on the edges.