Learn how to draw a cactus, and then turn it into a lesson on perspective as well. You’ll end up with a lovely desert landscape.
Your basic saguaro cactus that is found in the desert is one of my favorite things to draw. Here are just a few reasons why:
- The basic shapes are pretty easy for artists of all ages.
- They really start to look dimensional when you add the LINES (an Element of Art).
- They really pop when you change the VALUE (another Element) of the edges by making them darker.
- Spread out a few of varying sizes and you have a lovely desert landscape with SPACE (one more).
That’s a whole bunch of learning packed into one lesson!
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw Cactus
- Draw the middle of the large cactus.
- Add two arms.
- Add a middle arm. Erase the extra lines. Draw a road.
- Draw the medium size cactus.
- Draw the smallest cactus in the middle.
- Add mountain lines in the background.
- Draw some clouds where you have space.
- Trace with a marker and color.
- Press hard for extra color on the edges.