Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw Maya Angelou and a Maya Angelou Coloring Page. Students will have some support drawing her likeness, while learning more about the amazing life she’s led.
My favorite quote of Ms. Angelou has to be, “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use the more you have.” That rings true to my experience with art, and I thank this woman for offering up so much wisdom in her lifetime. It’s my pleasure to share a new tutorial that will help students draw her portrait as closely to her real life image as can be.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Maya Angelou Coloring Page
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw Maya Angelou
- Draw a large U shape.
- Add a slightly wavy hair line.
- Draw the outer edge of the hair and add lines.
- Add the ears, neck and shoulders.
- Draw two eyes with eyelids.
- Add two eyebrows and a nose.
- Add the lips and cheek lines.
- Draw “MAYA” in big block letters.
- Trace with a marker and color your drawing.