Show your students how to draw the Mayflower with a step by step tutorial and they just might draw some beautifully detailed ships.
This sample drawing was made on kraft paper so the sails could be colored white, but any paper will work just fine. A white stock would allow for a pretty blue sky, so it really depends on personal (or teacher!) preference.
The sails on this ship may look a little complex at first glance, but with a little planning they all make sense. Just make sure to draw then with curved sides so it looks like the wind is filling them up.
- Draw the Mayflower PDF Tutorial (see info below to download)
- Brown kraft paper*
- Black marker, fine tip*
- Colored pencils*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
- Print or draw guidelines on each paper.
- Students draw the ship with a pencil according to the tutorial.
- The drawing is traced with a black marker.
- The ship is colored using brown for the boat, white for the sails, and blue for the water.