I like my preschool art projects to have some structure, still have plenty of room for choice. This has both, and can make some stinkin’ cute drawings too.
These little birds are easy to draw, and have an added extra cute factor. I made a template with dashed lines for them to start, especially because this was going to be used as a fundraiser. If you’d like to go more free form, get a larger sheet of paper and rolls of masking tape for them to trace.
• Multimedia paper, 8.5″ x 11″
• Sharpie marker, black, fine tip
• Liquid watercolor paper
1. Students trace the circles with a pencil and then add features on each to make four different birds.
2. The lines are traced with the Sharpie.
3. The birds are colored lightly with crayons. Another way to phrase it is, “it’s OK to scribble, scrabble this time”. Leaving some of the paper showing in each bird will allow for more paint to show.
4. Students paint each bird with watercolor, and then fill in the background.