Learn how to draw a Cartoon Black Cat with this easy step by step tutorial. There are two fun cartoon cat lessons to choose from.
Cartoon Black Cat Drawing
The best part of learning how to draw a black cat is having fun with all the exaggerated shapes. Professional cartoon artists may make it look easy, but it takes time to learn how to make the most impact with just a few lines.
One example of this is the use of oversized heads. They just plain look funny, and also conveniently leave room for expressive eyes. And oversized eyes that are flat on top are a very simple way to make anyone, person or animal, look unhappy.
Looking for more of a challenge? Why not set off the background of your cat drawing with some very Halloween-y gradated color? This one was done with a yellow orange crayon on top, and a red orange crayon of the bottom. It takes a bit of overlapping and going back and forth to get that smooth coloring transition, but the end result is well worth it!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Cartoon Cat Coloring Page
Materials for a Cartoon Cat Drawing
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions to Draw a Cartoon Cat Step by Step
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Cartoon Cat
- Draw a curve.
- Begin the top of the head.
- Finish the top of the head.
- Draw two half circle eyes.
- Draw inside eyes, nose, whiskers.
- Add two ears.
- Draw the outside of the body.
- Add leg lines and long tail.
- Trace with marker and color.